Thursday 29 November 2012

Foyer Bits and pieces, Final Dress Rehearsal and the cast blog at last! Director's Blog 25

It's 4.30 pm, Owen, Phil, Olly and I are being very silly in the foyer at the Broadway Theatre! As we sit here the Christmas Tree is being decorated as the dusk is arriving. Chorus Two have just got here and seem pretty excited! 

There is a buzz about the place. The cast are on very good form! Lots of laughter,fun and anticipation as we go into our last and Open Dress Rehearsal! 

Today there are a few mini-blogs that I am planning to post in the comments box below from our Team Cinderella, and here also a slightly bonkers cabin-fevered video of Mr Phil, Mr Owen and I lovingly filmed by the writer Mr Olly who cleverly manages regularly to avoid being filmed - but watch out Olly - Your time will come!

Anyway here it is....... the sound is terrible, the screen too wide, and well some of the creative team just a little...............!



Have faith in the Creative Team leading this panto?  Well now you have seen the video I hope that maybe we can be forgiven? It is all just a little hysterical folks, and demonstrates coming out the other side of the post-partum blues - well that's my excuse anyway!

Its early in the morning of the next day (Thursday 29th November) and I am just picking up from where I left off in the foyer yesterday afternoon to add a small comment on last night's final open dress rehearsal. 

The audience for this show was very special.It was made up of 200 or so looked-after-children with their parents,families,carers and social workers. Its a commitment the Broadway has made over the past few years at the request of Anne Bristow (Corporate Director Adult and Community Services). And I think its a great idea.

It serves two important purposes. Most significantly it gives troubled families and their children a bit of light hearted fun and a break from all the pressures they are under,and secondly it gave Team Cinderella a chance to strutt its stuff to what felt like an almost full house of children and adults.

The excitement and fear levels amongst the children (and possibly some of their adults) reached fever pitch at times! How fabulous it was to hear and see these kids and their families having such a great time! 

I was sitting at the very back of the auditorium filing my finge nails as promised with Owen (well he wasn't actually filing my finger nails bless him, mind you he would have made a much better job of applying my red nail varnish I have to say!) 

The excitement in the audience made me suddenly feel a bit like we were on the Nemesis ride at Alton Towers!  I have to say I had never made the connection between a panto and a theme park before - but come to think of it Mr Phil seems to have done so! I believe he went to Disneyland Paris for a certain big birthday in August? So maybe that's what inspired his tunes? We will probably never know!

Sal wrote on our private facebook group this evening about how amazing it was to see the children's faces when they saw Cinderella's rag dress transform into a ball gown in front of their eyes. Its true isn't it that when you believe in magic, anything is possible?

The actors and chorus (to be lovingly called the Acting Company hence forth) no longer Principals and Youth Chorus any more, really seemed to relish the challenge! 

 Owen, Phil and I are also delighted to announce the two Team Leaders for the Young Acting Company Teams: 

Team One: Gabrielle Mason. 
Team Two: Coral Ironside.

Good luck guys! Keep your teams on their toes! ( oh yes but that's why they are there in the first place ....the show....on their toes!)

For me one of the most special bits of the show was when Marsha asked the kids in the audience to help her with a spell, and asked them if they had a wand to do so. This actually brought a tear to my eye, as of course we knew that none of them did. (And I don't think that the merchandise arrives until Saturday anyway). 

So Sal told them that if they didn't have a real wand, they could pretend. She asked them to wave their imaginary wands in the air,twirl them and then finally flick them to make the spell work. And they did. It was a magical and beautiful moment, but I must admit to having cried just a little at this.I hope that for them the memory of seeing and doing magic might stay with them for a little while.

Anyway enough is enough. I haven't posted any photos for a while, so here are some I took earlier You can see that I must have been a little potty as I decided to take a photo from my moleskine rehearsal notes book!

I don't usually share my notes with anyone other than our team, and believe me after the first dress rehearsal the other day I did have 25 pages of notes! 

So here is a glimpse! The writing is virtually ilegible as it was done in the dark  - and my eyes aren't what they used to be! 


And for the Young members of the Acting Company's grandchildren: 

Please forgive the out of focus quality of my amateur pics. There will be better to come from Theresa tomorrow, and these were done on my phone in the dark!

Cinders and Charming at the Ball
(Amy Green and Sharif Affifi)

If I were a Lady - Chorus Team Two

Ian Teague (Designer) and Alison Jacobson (Costume Maker) examine the intricacies of the transformation of Cinderella's dress.

Chloe Kenward (Lighting Designer) puts her final touches of magic to her inspired lighting design before jetting off to sunnier climes!



My trusty carer (aka Company Manager) looking just a tad emotional from his 300 + cues to call.

And last but not least my trusty Composer and Musical Director - Mr Phil in full rehearsal flow! Sorry Phil,. It had to be done!
So that's about it for today's blog. I will be updating over the next few days with more gossip from the green room and more unlikely photos!  

Please also do have a look at the min-blogs from Team Cinderella in the comments boxes below - will give you the sound of many other voices than mine! Thanks



See you tomorrow.










16 comments:

Carole Pluckrose said...

From Jessica: Acting Company: Nipper

First show friday.. Yaya ...I'm really exited to work with the crew and principles properly :) Another great day with team 2. Also its my birthday on one of the shows so Ill bring cake for everyone hehe bye thanks again :D

Carole Pluckrose said...

From Gabrielle Mason: Acting Company: Pins
First show tomorrow, very excited. It has been soooo good to work with all of the cast and team. Wish the best of luck to group 2 for all their performances. good luck to everyone see you all tomorrow xx

Carole Pluckrose said...


From Sally Fisher; Acting Company: Marsha the Fairy God Mother

Thank you all for your good wishes the open dress went down really well, despite it being the toughest audience I have EVER encountered! Our audience were all kids from disadvantaged backgrounds and did not know how to behave in a theatre so just talked all the way through! BUT....I will never forget the magic of the little girl who shouted "hello Marsha", the kids who used their magic wands with such belief and the gasps at the transformation,,,,,so proud to be part of the magic,,,,,thanks guys xxx As you can imagine I am LOVING this xxxx

Carole Pluckrose said...

From Sally Fisher - Marsha the Fairy Godmother
Just about to go on for a final dress rehearsal with loads of gorgeous kids in the audience. This is seriously scary stuff ........ Gulp!

Carole Pluckrose said...

From Myfanwy Dowding: Production Team: Assistant Stage Manager

What a day! Thank you team Cinderella. It's been tough but there are lights and screaming kids at the end of the tunnel!
Good night, good luck and see you all tomorrow!

Carole Pluckrose said...

And from Sally again!

Woo Hoo! Go team Cinderella........what a great show....I will never forget the magic of the little girl who shouted "hello Marsha", the kids who used their magic wands with such belief and the gasps at the transformation,,,,,so proud to be part of the magic,,,,,thanks guys xxx

Carole Pluckrose said...

From Theresa Snooks: Arc core team Communications Officianado (Manager)

Really loved the show tonight guys... ok I bawled a tiny bit at the transformation... but only because my budgie died today, you understand...

All I can really say is, pretty fantastic for a dress rehearsal! Well done everyone ... will have some lovely photos from tonight to share with you! Look forward to seeing it all again very soon... XXXX

Carole Pluckrose said...

Natalie Smith: Arc Core Team: Education Director

Well done everyone. I really enjoyed the show tonight and it was a pretty tough audience!! You showed professionalism and stamina throughout and the songs were beautiful. I was totally amazed by the dress transformation and found myself giggling at all the jokes, although my favourite was definitely "holding the princes ball"! Enjoy the next few days and I look forward to seeing it all again on Saturday. I'm bringing my niece Emily to the matinee so give us a mention if you can. I just hope the wicked stepmother doesn't scare her too much!!! Congratulations all! Xxx

Carole Pluckrose said...

Coral Ironside: Acting Company: Pins and Chorus Team Two Captain.

Today was so much fun and i really can't wait till my groups first show on friday! its been amazing working with you all and ive loved every second of it! thank you for making the rehearsal stage so enjoyable...bring on the shows! love you all and break a leg!

Carole Pluckrose said...

From Andy Gillies: Acting Company: Ugly Sister - Lascivia

Sometimes in life you are blessed to be able to work with creative, talented and supportive people...Cinderella has been that for me. From the creative team, to the technical team to the little ones that make this show all the better. The cast has also been amazing...even though one of them gave me the lurgee...you know who you are! Now let's have some fun over Christmas!

Carole Pluckrose said...

From Owen Smith: Assistant Director/Choreographer

What can I say, we are almost there, one more dress and then we release the show into the world of Barking and Dagenham to fend for it's self. I have to say the cast have done us proud. There is not one of them that is not working there behinds off. This of course clearly comes down to how good Caroel, Phil and myself are at casting :)!

In truth though I truly believe that they give us some of the best performances to ever to don the Broadway stage!

In writing this I realise how gushing I sound, but I can assure you that I truly am not, if any thing by nature I am rather hard and by that what I mean is that I have very high standards and so far the cast have reached every one of them.

And on a personal note I have to say what a joy it's been to be side by side with CP, not just because she laughs at my jokes but because I think we have both taught each other so much.
There you go I have got over my blog fear and have posted
Owen Smith

Carole Pluckrose said...

From Henrietta Michael; Mouse Mummy of Freya from Acting Company: Team One:

Carole, Cinderella is a very beautiful baby... I know Freya will really miss this all when it finishes in January. It has been amazing to see how she has grown in confidence and belief. The rehearsal last night showed 100% dedication from all involved and my mum, who has come down from Liverpool to see Freya before it all gets going,is still talking about it this morning. A good sign of things to come.as always after something so good, you say what next? I hope there will be a happy ending like in the pantomime.. Anyway enough of my ramblings. Back to reality and Freya learning her lines for her school assembly on Friday. Have a great day all . Enjoy xx

Carole Pluckrose said...

From Olivia Sullivan; Acting Company Team Two

ust wanted to say to all the coast and my team I have loved working with you all and I'm buzzing for Friday my first show, I've had so much fun and loved meeting new friends who I love so much x x x x

Carole Pluckrose said...

From Jessica Smith: Acting Company Team One: Nipper

Hi thanks for all the work that you,Ollie,Phill,Owen and the crew have done for me over the weeks and for making all my dreams come true. I really am looking forward to Friday but without you it would never happen thanks again xxxx Also I would like to say to my team that I've loved working with you in rehearsal and I can't wait to start the shows so thankyou xxxxx Good luck team 1

Carole Pluckrose said...

From Janet Guvenc: Mum of Demi from Acting Company Team One: Spud

Great dress rehearsal. I'm still humming the songs. Well done everyone!! Demi loved it- he said he can't wait until Thursday.

Carole Pluckrose said...

From Donna Keynack: Mouse Mummy of Ella: Acting Company Team 1

Morning! Ella is still fast asleep. I am the Only one awake as I have to go to work today :( . Ella hasn't been feeling well but can't let her sleep in too late as I have to do her hair before I go!!
Morning Carole! Will be thinking of you all today and probably singing the songs constantly in my head! Really wish I was there today. Hope the audience love it as much as we all do. My class are so excited to be coming on Wednesday !! Good luck and I will look forward to reading tomorrows blog to find out how it went! X