Thursday 8 November 2012

Principals learn songs, eat bourbons and custard creams: Blog 4

Ok - so its 11.30 pm, but can't go to sleep unfortunately until I have met my target of a blog a day!  Its late because its a twelve hour working day and so much to do.  After the Principals arrived yesterday, they met our Youth Chorus 1 last night and the Chorus did their "Show and tell" of two of their scenes and numbers. The kids were excited to share with the adults and it was lovely to finally begin the process of bringing the whole cast together for the first time. The adults were entranced by the kids, and the Chorus rose to the occasion.

It was drawn to my attention by Arc's General Manager, Nita that I had missed a very important person off my list of Principal actors on my blog yesterday - so big sorries  to Dean, our funny and talented Buttons!

Today began with a vocal warm-up with Phil, recapping the Ensemble songs including some excellent harmony work. The actors have picked up the music so quickly that we were able to get much further than we thought. The Ugly Sisters, Andy and Ian learnt their 'Strutting" number, Amy and Sharif their love songs and Barbara her evil Stepmother solo. Be afraid, be very afraid, I think she might eat children! So make sure that any children you bring have a magic wand to protect themselves from her!

I have said before that I come from a straight drama background, and am directing this panto in my way - which begins with exploring and finding the essence of the characters. Acting is at the heart of all good drama, and when words are no longer sufficient, you have to sing, and when singing is not enough you just have to sing and dance!   As I set up the first character exercise as I would in any rehearsal, Phil looked at me quizically and murmered to me that Musical Actors just don't do this kind of touchy feely drama stuff!! I chose to ignore this gentle mocking and began by introducing the idea of finding characters through using archetypes, which are the essence of all stories. I have been using these as a way into character for the past couple of years. I have an amazing set of beautifully illustrated  cards with 72 different archetypes, ranging from Prince to Miser. The actors and I decided which ones were most resonant for their characters in the panto. These become a key for unlocking powerful and often surprising insights. Once the actors understood the difference between archetypes, stereotypes and stock characters we were on our way. I sent Amy and Sharif off on a 40 minute walk in Barking as if on their first date, I wanted them to fall in love, and when they came back they sang their duet beautifully, locked in each other's gaze.  I sent the Fairy Godmother (Sally) to follow them without revealing herself - when she came back she was slightly perturbed as she thought there was a real chance that she might be arrested for loitering! The Ugly Sisters set off to Vicarage Fields Shopping Centre in Barking with their evil mother to look for Ball gowns much to the confusion of the owner of the Prom Dress shop!

Later in the afternoon, Chorus group 2 arrived and met the Principals, and for the first time we brought them together in the opening number. It was great to hear the adult voices with the kids. Competition for any choir!

We got to Scene three of the show, and I am looking forward to pushing ahead tomorrow - we have a target to get through the whole of Act One ready to show the Lighting Designer Chloe Kenward by Monday 12th - No pressure then!

I am including here a link to the first go at one of the songs which Phil taught them yesterday - the production quality is a bit lacking with the actors looking like they are in the dark! but you will get a feel for the voices and the song.
Back tomorrow.
I am hoping that other members of the Cinderella Team will add their comments on rehearsals to by blog. I promise not to edit them!



No comments: