Wednesday 2 January 2013

Ends are not bad things and where next with this Blog? Penultimate Director's Blog 55

Cinderella Baubles: Design © Ian Teague


Good morning All!


So this is the day when the curtain comes down on Cinderella one last time! And its been a fabulous six months and hard to believe that we have finally arrived at this day! 

I think overall that ends are not bad things, they just mean that something else is about to begin. And there are many things that don't really end, anyway, they just begin again in a new way. Ends are not bad and many ends aren't really an ending; some things are never-ending.

There are lots of messages on our Team Cinderella closed group page, mostly from members of the Young Company - and all expressing similar sentiments. I think we all might end up shedding a tear or more today! I guess its the price of doing this stuff so intensely. And its been a journey of love, well of course it has, it was Cinderella!
Thanks to you all for showing the best of what it is to be human! And its an amazing gift.

Today will be different and special too as we bring both Young Company Teams together for the first time since the end of October when the groups split for rehearsals. Each team will watch the other team perform today - so that will be quite something! 

I know some great new friendships have been forged and it will be such fun to have everyone together again. There will be a lovely party in the green room for them all! And later in the evening after the second show there will be shin-dig back at Arc  for where three months ago we began this rehearsal and performance part of our  journey!

I will do one final CInderella Blog tomorrow and then my blog will transform itself on Jan 4th into something that I can continue to write and will be accessible in the same place. 
I have been really touched and surprised by the warmth and feedback I have received about the blog, and a bit surprised about how many people have been reading it regularly. Makes me feel a little bit like a real writer! To end then today with some words from the Cinderella script by Clifford Oliver ©Clifford Oliver 2012 (reproduced with permission of Arc Theatre) to remind us of the uplifting feel of Cinderella 2012


Excerpt from Act One Sc 2
CINDERS: Oh, hello Tiptoe. 

TWINKLE: What are you doing under there?
CINDERS: It’s where I sleep. Sleep? Oh no, I should have been up ages ago.


She gets to her feet and sings

MUSIC/DANCE- 2, Wonderful Day


The dreaming’s done; the night has ended-The world’s awake and so am I
The dawn creates another splendid
Dance across the morning sky
The timeless rhythm of our lives
Will beat the living daylight’s drum
So when you feel it in your heart 
You’ll know that it’s begun

CHORUS:

Hey it’s Wonderful day!
The sun is shining in the sky,
Hey, it's a wonderful day.
Yes it’s Magical Day!

A new day just for you and I,
So wake your sleepy head

And you can jump right out of bed
It’s time to laugh and play
Oh what a wonderful Day!
Ah... Ah!

The sun is shining in the sky
Hey it's a wonderful day.
Yes its a magical day, a new day, for you and I

Buttons enters as they dance. Cinders grabs his hand and tries to get him to join in but he resists. The chorus continue to dance.

BUTTONS: What are you doing? Your stepmother was looking for you.


CINDERS: I don’t care. It’s a wonderful day and I’m not get to let her spoil it.

BUTTONS: She’ll give you wonderful day if she catches you dancing when you should be working.
CINDERS: I don’t care. 
MUSIC/DANCE (2) 
CINDERS & CHORUS:


The timeless rhythm of our livesWill beat the living daylight’s drum
So when you feel it in your heart 
You’ll know that it’s begun


Button’s feels the rhythm and joins in the song


Hey it’s Wonderful Day!
The birds are singing in the trees,
Yes it’s a Magical Day!
A new day just for you and me,
No time to hang around
We’ll get dressed and go to town
It’s time to laugh and play
Oh what a wonderful Day!


Hey hey hey hey hey
Its a wonderful day!
The grass is green 
The sky is blue.
Yes it's a magical day
A new day just for me and you
So wake your sleepy head, 
And you can jump right out of bed
It's time to laugh and play!
Oh what a wonderful day!

Hey its a wonderful day

The sun is shining in the sky
Yes its a magical day
A new day for you and I.
Hey, its a wonderful day.
So that's me done for today ...... Final Cinderella Blog tomorrow


***** DVD's of the show will be available for purchase. It is being filmed today with both groups - 
I will post further details asap.

No comments: