Sunday 23 December 2012

Consistency,Ten Days Left and What next with the Blog Director's Blog 47

Now things are just getting silly when I receive a message on Facebook at 7.30 am from a friend saying she can't have her coffee because the blog hasn't arrived on her desktop yet. 
I like to beg her pardon but this is not the Mail on Sunday landing on the doormat Missus! Nonetheless I am really rather touched to think that people actually do look forward to reading the blog on a regular basis. Its a lesson for me in  a new type of discipline and the importance of consistency. So I do my very best to publish on time daily, but as this is my unpaid second job it has to happen before 7am really or fit in and around getting on with the real job.(Or maybe this is the real job?) Don't get me wrong I have really got  the bug (blog?) for this blog writing thing! And its a real bonus to get feedback about it. 

Of course its one thing when you know the reader, like my friend J from Birmingham who is still waiting for the kettle to boil (Not feeling the pressure there then... just make the coffee girl), but quite another when you don't. Of course a number one thing you need to appreciate is that when you write a blog it will be read by people you don't know, or at least you hope it will. 

Last night at the show, the very lovely Paul was waiting to pick up one of TC. I say no more than this A to protect your embarrassment. Paul and a few of my friends who had come to the show were chatting about it and he said that he would have seen it 6 times before we finish on Jan 2nd. Not just because he has a family member in it, which is of course the primary draw, but that he likes the show a lot. Great!... although he did say of the blog "Its interesting to get inside your head" which slightly worried me as to whether his day job is as a psychiatrist! I am relieved to know that Paul works as a sensible Police Officer for one of our esteemed Police Forces. That makes me feel much safer now Paul!

It is a little strange that this commitment to write exposes just a little about who you are of course, but you have ultimate editorial control about what you want to comment on or reveal! This is the bread and butter experience for any published writer in the conventional 'publish a book' sense or any journalist for that matter.They know that this is precisely what they want when they get an agent and a publishing deal or write for a paper or magazine online or in print.

For me this has come as a totally new and frankly unexpected experience. This blog thing is such a great democratising medium and I love the fact that anyone can start one and easily put their voice on whatever subject out there. And people will read them or not.

Whose to say that what you want to talk about is of any remote interest to anyone else? I guess that you'll find out quickly by your blog statistics whether anyone is reading you, or whether your shouting into a wilderness? I am really rather relieved that unless the stats are lying there are a few of you out there!

Its happened a few times now that I have met people who are regularly reading the blog.I want to ask them to tell me about themselves as it feels of course that its a bit of a one-way conversation and that they know more about me than I do about them. So in the decent manner of good communication I feel the need and the interest in this person to want to pin them down and interrogate them. I realise that this is neither very civil nor conducive to an ongoing blog relationship so I resist it, particularly when they are a cop!

The thing I am finding too is that having been a life long diary writer from the age of six when I got waylaid by a green Lett's Brownie diary (which I still have in the loft) there is a familiarity and ease in carrying on doing what I have always done. 

I have an attic full of diaries which chart my life so far, full of Brownie and Jesus Loves You stickers, pictures of Donnie Osmond and David Cassidy, tear stained love poems, letters and cards, thoughts about drama, life, the future. But these diaries are private, some even secret and of no interest or consequence to anyone, except perhaps my family and mostly my kids as and when I pop my clogs.

So writing a diary is conducive to migrating to a blog but with the very big difference that  in this case you contract to be read and you are mindful of the dangers of self-indulgence. For anyone who has a proclivity to write I would say you could do worse than blog (Paul!?)

Anyway enough deliberations about diaries, blogs and Pauls. 

I only caught the second show yesterday and it was good. Owen came in to tighten up some of the choreography with Young Company One, which was getting a little lazy. A nip and tuck here and there and bingo back on track, which showed in the second show.


Amy is really powering ahead as a professional actor and it was one of her best shows. She really has really earned her spurs over the past couple of months. I am so proud of her. And of course the rest of my lovely TC who delight me as I watch the show from the balcony when I am in. I worked out yesterday that I must have seen the show over 40 times now, and yes this might be seen as a little obsessive but actually its the newness to the audience of each show that delights and fascinates me. And also its great to share it with the many friends who come to see it. I cannot pretend that I am anything other than addicted to the responses to the dress transformation.

One last thing before J has her coffee - I would really appreciate an honest steer, opinion, feedback whatever as to whether I should call it a day with this blog on Jan 3rd after the
final show, after all it was only intended to be a glimpse into rehearsals and performances! or whether to migrate it to a general daily blog about the toings and froings of a theatre director, a company and the challenges and triumphs of survival of someone who does this bonkers job!

If you have any thoughts please do post them as a comment. Its been a blast writing this blog, but of course its been easy as there are so many of us involved in the team and the subject matter is clear and presents itself on a daily basis.

Anyway I am sure you'll let me know.
Happy Sunday before Christmas all. Only one show today - know Phil is looking forward especially to his guests seeing it. Bring it on!

4 comments:

Carole Pluckrose said...

Stacey Cockram

3 of my dancing teachers came to see the show tonight and all loved it! They are all undoubtably proud of Amy and myself and were very complementary about the show! Once again well done to everyone, have a merry Christmas!xxx

AJ said...

Yep. You're a great blogger. Love ur wacky style...and off the wall insights on life and things....you can't chuck it in now.

AJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carole Pluckrose said...

Thanks Mya
Love that you like the blog - not so sure about the wacky style though!
I am thinking that I will migrate it on Jan 3rd - just thinking about how and what to call it that keeps it linked to this first incarnation - any thoughts and ideas much appreciated.