Sunday 2 December 2012

Blogging in Tonbridge. Why I like Macs, and Getting stuck in Canvey Island. Director's Blog 28

I am sorry that my blog is so late this morning. It is not helped by being written on my Dad's PC laptop, and this being the third time I have started it! I have just lost the previous two draft posts by pressing something that deleted them, and then not finding how to undo the delete on a PC!

I am really reluctant to get into the PC/Mac divide debate with my Dad. Not least because he is sitting opposite me in his dressing gown and is about to make me a bacon and egg sandwich!

Suffice it to say ....... I HATE PCs. They are horrible, horrible, horrible!

Dad, please don't take it personally. Its not a personal reflection on you! You also don't have to defend Bill Gates against Steve Jobs! They both just had different ways of going about the same challenges. Its just that Jobs was more creative. Lets leave that there shall we?  Bacon and egg sandwich still on the cards Pop?

My Mum is sitting happily chatting about the extraordinary transformation of the pumpkin and of Cinderella's dress. She is trying very hard to make me spill the beans. I have told her that this is a matter of national security and she will not make me divulge this however many bacon sandwiches my Dad makes for me.

The reason why I am using this horrible PC is because my Dad has kindly fired it up for me because he understands my commitment to getting my blog out by 7am, although it is now two and a half hours late! So I think I better let that whole Mac thing go for the moment.

So just to clarify I hadn't actually intended to have a sleepover at my Mum and Dad's house in Tonbridge, my ancestral home  and actually Mr Phil's too (well not my Mum and Dad's house, Tonbridge - the town).

We discovered some weeks ago that our two family homes were only 10 minutes walk away. Imagine that. Were it not for the small age gap between us, we might have even bumped into each other on the way to school! Perhaps we might have got round to doing a panto sooner? Or maybe not.

To cut to the cheese. Those of you who know me well, and those from Team Cinderella who now know me quite well, will not be in the least bit surprised when I take the risk of letting you know why exactly I am having an unplanned sleepover at the Royal Parents! (The latter a direct quote from the show.)

You see I picked the rents up at 1.30 and took them to see the first show. They had a great time and were particularly thrilled to meet most of Team Cinderella and wanted to talk about it all - the transformations, the music  - the whole thing!

They loved seeing all the actors come out for a Meet and Greet with the audience. They enjoyed watching parents lovingly taking photos of their children with the actors. Father Christmas made a surprise visit too! Didn't  know we had the budget for him!

All in all they had a fabulous time. So leaving reasonably early I assumed that I could drop them back to Tonbridge by midnight. However I had not banked on the sleep fairy waving her magic wand, nor on the innacuracy of the Iphone Sat Nav app!

Suffice it to say -  we were exploring the night time offerings of Canvey Island until after 12.45 am. Now to say that Mum and Dad were getting a little nervous would be to dumb it down a little - they were terrified! So we obviously had to stop at Mickie Dees for a few fries and barbecue sauce as you do in moments of life-threatening crisis! A loo stop would have also been appreciated.

We got back to the ancesteral home at 1.30 am, having seem the 6pm performance of the panto!  So any remote chance of my driving back to my home in Great Dunmow was pretty much shot.

So for the first time in as long as I can remember I got to go to sleep in my childhood home. It is rather lovely. (Well, apart from the PC and the lost 2 drafts!

The hot water bottle, extra blanket and the borrowed PJ's all add up to an unexpected and jolly start to our two day Panto break!

I hope all of our Team Cinderella do have a good two days break. They certainly deserve it!



No comments: