Saturday 8 December 2012

Press Night, Meeting Amy's Mum and Dad and Tesco's Cherries and Berries: Director's Blog 34

Good morning! 

I have woken up  again with the Cinderella "hacking cough" lergie, a rare strain of Thespian Malady brought into Cinderella World by Sally Fisher (AKA Marsha) a month ago to the day! This TM has been doing its evil work since then, passing through the cast like a veritable Miss Trunchball.

I sound like I smoke 40 fags a day! (when in fact its actually 60 but ssshhh - Don't tell Mum). No lemon in the fridge, not even a plastic squeezy one, let alone the real thing! Not even any past-sell-by-date orange squash at the back of the cupboard. Nada, nothing, zero, zilch! 

Making do then with some Tesco's own Cherries and Berries with a squeeze of runny honey (spot the rhyme there, competition for Olly eh?) and deciding to take up another sofa in the house from my usual red blog spot armchair. 

My mum (bless you Annie - but could you stop now - I'm 35!), keeps calling me to make sure I am looking after myself. You know the sweet, well intentioned " You are still taking your vitamins aren't you darling?  ......"  "Yes Mum.....(mumble mumble)...... " 
"Its just I am still your Mum and I worry........."  "Yes Mum....(mumble, mumble, mumble)..."   

Sorry Mum. I do really appreciate you caring, and Dad too..... honest. Could we just ration the whole vitamin questioning thing to once a week maybe? I'll pick this one up with you offline later today maybe?.....Maybe?

Anyway I am procrastinating. Last night was Press Night. The house was full, but how many were actually press remains to be seen! After all critics are pretty much in demand on Pantos in December. (Hey listen to me sounding like the panto expert! hee hee! )

And one tends to get the feeling that there may be a certain jadedness in the annual round of panto theatres?  The Broadway PR Agency Arthur Leone is looking after two other Cinderellas, at The Rose in Kingston and The Lyric Hammersmith. I fancy popping over to see the Lyric one next week some time. Will let you know how it goes.

The show went well. Lots of energy and timing was generally better than yesterday. 

Had a quick word with Dean and Sharif about the "You could hold one of your balls" line. It really hasn't been working for the last few shows. 

I think its become a "To be or Not to be" moment. It got such a huge response when the boys first played it, that it has become too self-conscious and the timing has gone astray, meaning that the pause of expectation is not delivering the laugh. I asked them to go back to playing "the fact" totally straight and  was really pleased that they got it back tonight. Its always these minor details that make the difference. You can perhaps get away with dropping a few stitches from time to time without anyone noticing, but there is a tipping point when the whole thing falls apart. Not on my watch folks! Or else....

The transformation of the carriage and in particular Cinderella's dress is becoming more consistent now. I still cross my fingers and take in a deep breath as the magic is done. It wasn't perfect tonight but still raised a gasp from the whole audience. How exciting is that!  

I found the transformation I wanted on an obscure video back in July and kept showing it to the team whenever I had the chance to. Phil, Chris M and I poured over it at a party at the theatre, and even asked the excellent but hapless magician who was doing the rounds that night if he could explain how it works.  He said he couldn't.

I think I probably clocked up over 100 views and Ian, Zoe and I spent endless  hours discussing and deliberating. And I tell you what, actually getting information about the how-to is nigh on impossible, illusion and magic being what they are - illusion and magic. No one is really prepared to share their secrets!  And so the quest for the Holy Grail began!  

We got it right, but it is really not perfect yet! So we are really pleased that it delights the audience! I thought you might like to see the youtube video I found that set the benchmark for me of what I wanted to achieve with the dress. Interestingly this is from an obscure amateur production of Cinderella by Forever After Productions, based in Mississippi!  Don't you just love the power of the web!





I wouldn't bother though  to look at the rest of the video - the music and performances descend somewhat rapidly from the heady heights of that amazing transformation.

Those of you who have seen our Cinderella transformation will see that it pays direct hommage to this one, so thanks to them! Not that they know we have studied them so intently. Maybe I should get in touch this week to thank them for their inspiration and invite them to the live web stream! Yes I think I will, in the spirit of shared magic.

And finally tonight I had the real pleasure to meet Mr and Mrs Green, the lovely Cinderella Mummy and Daddy!   I was slightly embarrassed to realise that Paul knew a lot about me from reading my blog every day. 

I have to admit that this is a very new experience for me. I realise that I bare my soul in here every morning before my censor brain kicks in - and am always hoping I haven't said anything too incendiary!  

At the same time as realising he knows me but I don't know him, I also feel remarkably touched that Paul  and other people like Cally (Phil's friend) thinks its interesting enough to read every day. 

Its so new for me - but I am loving the writing thing because there is so much to write about! Also turns out that Paul works for British Transport Police, who have commissioned the last three plays for young people that we have made! 

And indeed Paul knows ACC Alan Pacey who has been instrumental in finding the funds to commission Arc over the past two years. Small world. SIx degrees of separation et al.

Catch up tomorrow. Have a good one.








No comments: